Lava Tour Masaya
From USD $28.00
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Masaya, Masaya
- Product code: PTTUQF
Experience one of Central America's most active volcanoes. At nightfall reach the volcano summit by vehicle, witnessing a unique nature event and see lava flowing from the bottom of the crater, forming a river of magma that glows in the dark and illuminates the interior of the volcano. “Popogate” or “mountain that burns” in Chorotega (native language) has captivated human’s interest even before the spaniards arrival, for the natives this was object of veneration and believed the eruptions were signs of anger from the gods and to appease them they offered sacrifices, which often included small children and maidens. During the conquest, the Spaniards baptized the active volcano as “the mouth of hell” and planted a cross in the 16th century to exorcise the devil.
- See lava and volcanic gasses inside a volcanic crater
- First declared national park in Nicaragua (1979)
- Only volcano in the western hemisphere that you can reach the crater by car
- Bilingual (english/spanish) and very informative certified tour guide
- Roundtrip transportation with A/C
- Masaya Volcano National Park entrance fee
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothes, light jacket (for wind)
- Insect repellent
- Water and snacks